Sunday, April 6, 2008

Edible Rite of Passage

I was chatting with the gal behind the Deli counter today when I realized that a conversion had taken place. Most of my sandwich-meat-buying years were spent with Oscar Mayer and Hillshire Farms over on the other side of the produce section. I used to roll my eyes at the people who paid three times as much as me for some sandwich meat. Why in the world would you pay $7.99 a pound for some ham? I can get five pounds of perfectly good bologna for a $1. I thought those premium-gas buying, tweed-jacket-wearing snobs were way too frivilous with their money. It reminded me of the times I used to dream about one day being able to buy Home Pride bread and still have money left over to buy the $1 bologna to go along with it. It was ambitious, but I knew it was my destiny.

This afternoon, I glanced over at the pre-packaged meats and cheeses until I noticed an obstruction; it was the end of my nose. In two trips to the Deli counter I had become a woman in purple heels and a matching hat, shopping for my picnic lunch for the polo match in the Hamptons next weekend ("Yes, ma'am, the oven-roasted, sun-kissed ham is for my stock broker husband"). As I enjoyed a piece of my orignal swiss (aged for 60 days), I realized I would never see Oscar again, and my frequent visits to the Hillshire Farm were no longer on my itinerary. Perhaps one day, should the stable run out of feed for our thoroughbreds, I may become desperate.
Until then, I will enjoy by Maple Buttered Ham.
I have arrived.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

:)

where does that leave folks who buy their maple buttered ham prepackaged from costco???

Sharon said...

Enjoy it while it lasts. A lunch of left-over scraps of PB&J is just around the corner.

In my case it's just left over PB b/c the J has been licked clean.

No, I'm not bitter.

marilou said...

purple heels and a matching hat???? I'd pay deli prices to see that!