Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Look How Hip We Are: Volume 2

Derrel and I decided that, because Bellingham has so many hole-in-the-wall restaurants, that every time we want to eat out, we'll try a new place. So before the second round of late night hotdogness (see Volume 1), we headed into Historic Fairhaven to try Flat's Tapas Bar. I had been to Tapa the World in Sacramento a couple of times, so this didn't intimidate me too much, and Derrel was sport enough to go along.



We sit down and start to look over the menu and, despite the vegetable-heavy descriptions (which usually mean 'CODE RED' for Derrel and me), we decided to stick around anyway. Derrel found his olive branch in something he saw at another table heavy with ham and sausage, and I found rest in a macaroni dish packed with cheeses I'd never heard of (half in English and half in squiggly).



And, despite being put off at first by the portions (Is this like the Coldstone try-a-flavor size?), Flat's Tapas Bar was a success (as were the various rounds of hangman and tic-tac-toe).

And yes, the Eberts prefer the Coldstone system of measurement to any metric or standard systems.