Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Update in the Real Life

Not to say that '24' is not real life, but I suppose not writing in well over a month warrants some reality as well.

We're raking the leaves for the fourth time since we moved here as the season is rushing to it's transition to winter in less than a month. I was about to say that the rainy season has officially started here in Bellingham, but it looks like the sun is actually finding it's way out as I write. Even when it's overcast, it's incredible to be driving around town and see a light layer of fog nestled into the trees. It's amazing how everyday things here can leave you in awe. More evidence that God is everywhere.

The folks were out to visit over the last couple of weeks. There was a weekend where all four of my parents were here visiting. I'm so blessed that all of my parents get along the way that they do so that we don't have to miss out on visits if schedules overlap. It was fun to get to show off our town twice over. We even made it up to Canada one day!

Derrel is still enjoying his job. They've hit a little bit of dry patch as far as selling sponsorships for the season goes, but Derrel loves challenges. And with that big brain of his, he'll figure it out.
My own job hunt has had it's highs and lows. I had interviewed for a position at the university in town, and even made it to a second interview this past Monday, but that didn't pan out. I know He's got something in the works for us, so I'm anxious to continue with the search and see what what that is.

With Christmas coming up and being just a few clicks shy of a new niece (who we've deemed Audreden) and our first anniversary, it's hard to ignore all the good things God has given us. Thus far, our experience in Bellingham has been stellar. Being in a place where we are the only family we've got has done nothing but turn us closer to eachother, and closer to the God that brought us together. We've found a church and church family we're quite fond of, and I really feel like our life together has officially started. I am very much looking forward to traveling with my new family this Christmas; sleeping on his shoulder in a crowded airport between flights, finishing half-completed sudoku puzzles in airline magazines, relying on eachother to remember what city we're in, and, ultimately, when the dust settles in mid January, returning to the bedtime television ritual that I've grown to love so much. Oh yeah...then we go on a cruise. :O)

And of course I'm anxious for the times between. I can't wait to see my family and be able to help welcome Baby Mitchell into the world. I'm anxious to see how Derrel's folks are settling into their new home in Arizona and am looking forward to coloring with our nieces out there. Both of our families have had a big year and have seen a lot of changes. It will be nice to settle in with everyone and see what new gifts those changes have brought.

I hope it's a pony!

5 comments:

Stacy said...

"More evidence that God is everywhere." Personally, I agree HE is everywhere but he does seem to spend more time in the northern regions...

Beautiful post...got teary and excited for you! I am sooo happy to "hear" the excitement in your "voice" with all the goings-on this last year! We love you both dearly and are counting the moments until we can squeeze you again!

Sharon said...

Maybe your lack of outside employment is God's way of preparing you for a "home-based" gig? (sorry -- I couldn't resist.) I'm just a big fan of the old "first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes..." -- you know...

marilou said...

We are all so "sappy mc-sappy". I got tear too....might be in the genes. Anyway....Loved the post - long overdue, I might add. We can't wait to see both of you for His Birthday! BTW, HE spends time in the Southern region as well....beautiful 70-degree weather here!!!

Nicole said...

Well I must say, Sharon, that we are quite fond of that little ditty as well. Our goal is for me to just fake a career for a year or so, build up a little cushion, and then see about finishing out the verse. :O)

Sharon said...

oh, that warms my heart, Nicole. I promise I won't needle you on that point again :-)

I pray God blesses you -- in that way and every way -- in His time!