Tuesday, June 17, 2008

LA Times, is that You?

As everyone is well aware, same-sex marriages were legal as of 5:01 yesterday afternoon. It is, of course, what everyone is talking about this morning. Though not a reporter for the paper, the LA Times voluntarily published a piece that I was surprised to see on its pages.

Truth and Grace.

So now that I share an office, my coworker and I often chit chat about whatever is going on: the crazy stories we read, the wacky vendors we work with. It's only natural that same-sex marriages came up. I told her that I had had a brief thought this morning that what Christians are trying to do by banning same-sex marriage won't be the obliteration of homosexuality. Those people will still be sinning against God regardless of whether or not they can marry. I can understand the desire to not sanction these things, and the article I referred to above further discusses how religious freedom may be inhibited by equal rights. My coworker, a non-believer, says she had a hard time with religious people when Catholic priests are participating in what some of them have been and are being protected by other priests. I can't argue with that. I know that sinners need a savior, that's what we believe. For some reason, though, I'm not able to vocalize that in a way that I feel truly holds up The Word. I feel that it would fall flat.

Then again, I know I'm not in the business to convert anybody. I don't have the right qualifications, like, dying on the cross to pay the debt for sinners. We prayed last night the God would provide us opportunities in everyday situations to be a witness, and that he'd give us the words to say. I feel like I blew my opportunity today. How can we, sinful by nature, strike a balance between truth and grace when talking to non-Christians? D and I were very convicted this past Sunday sitting in our new church. We were bought at a price. We are not our own. We are either the property of Christ, or property of Satan and lead man-pleasing lives. I just pray that if I am afforded an opportunity again, I will not cower from a fear of saying things that will not be pleasing to other's ears.

Life was not promised to be easy for true believers. I am thankful for the challenges we are given in our current time. I hope that all believers will be given the strength and the wisdom to stay rooted and share God's Word, even when it's not comfortable.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

nice post. Just as a handful of points of encouragement--Sinner to sinner, it's definitely something to hit the heart of every believer. Being bought by such a high price doesn't afford us the comfort of hiding behind the truth and yet we do. Sovernly, God has more grace than we have sin...and he, in His power/will/time will use all things for His good (including when we chicken out on the Truth.) Just look at how He is using that experience to strengthen your resolve for His next opportunity. I love you and am excited to hear about you and derrel finding a new church family that you both can be involved in!