Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Church Discipline vs. "Communion as a Weapon"

I just read this article and am interested to see what other Christians think about it. In case you can't stand to leave our blog, I'll give you a quick summary: Douglas Kmiec, a former Justice Deparmenter turned private university professor, was refused communion at his church for endorsing Barack Obama, who's running on a pro-choice platform. The article mentions that there are politicians that have also been refused communion at their respective churches for the same reason, but that Kmiec's situation is quite unique because he's no longer a public figure, but a citizen.
My gut tells me that it doesn't really make a difference. I can only say what is true for my family and, if it falls short of God's truth revealed in His word, I hope that my favorite, more Biblically-educated readers will not hesitate to hold me accountable. As a Christian, I vote my conscience. To me, life issues would seem to outweigh any other political issue currently being discussed and would, therefore, sway my vote for a presidential candidate. However, I've learned that every issue out there is a Christian issue.
In our house, there's an on-going discussion about taxes. One of us feels that a flat tax is the most equitable option that doesn't punish the people who work hard for their money, and the other feels that a flat tax would hurt the poorer people by taking a bigger chunk of their pie. There is a Biblical context for these issues regarding our responsibilities with the gifts that God has entrusted to us. Healthcare. Plans are being crafted to enlist the United States to pick up every man beaten on the road, throw them on the back of her horse, and take them to a place to be taken care of. Yes, an exaggerated allusion, but you see the direction it's going (side note: if a boat and a car is a 'she', does the same rule apply to a country? Discuss).

So how do you decide which issues outweigh the others in the matter of moral importance? Boundless.org started a good discussion last month about finding a balance between truth and grace. Unfortunately, I can't find the article now, but one of its main points was that, in the end, all will be judged. I think that's also referenced in some other writing (i.e. John 12:48). So some folks use this when they argue that abortion should not be a governmental issue.

So I throw up my hands to my brothers and sisters in Christ. No candidate will hold 100% of the beliefs that my family has written on our hearts, so how do you decide what your conscience can live with and what it can't?

Note to self: add "discernment and guidance to all peoples" to prayer list.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

ooo...interesting article. I love critiquing papists.

I would draw a distinction between the endorser and the endorsee. I think Christians are free to endorse whomever they feel to be the best candidate. However, I don't think politicians are free to vote in ways that clearly conflict with the Bible (i.e. supporting abortion).

Thanks for that intellectually stimulating moment in my day, Nicole!