Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fantasticful

Though the Webster-Merriam dictionary may not hold as much clout as it used to (the year it added "uber" to the dictionary it lost my respect), they still feel the need to annually add words to the dictionary. Webster-Merriam swore in 100 words yesterday. Here are some of my favorites:

Fanboy (1919): boy who is an enthusiastic devotee, such as of comics or movies
Also known as "single". Fanboy just sounds like a bad email address. If I ever wrote it, I'd feel the need to add a "96" or something at the end.
Actually, Derrel is an Anchorman fanboy. Well.........
This is awkward.

Mental health day (1971): day that an employee takes off from work to relieve stress or renew vitality
Soon to be followed by "Bad Hair Day", and "I Can't Fit Into My Favorite Pants Day". I'll
keep my fingers crossed for the 2009 Webster Word Draft. Show me a person that only
needs one day to recuperate from job-related stress, and I'll show you someone that has
only worked one day in their life.

Mondegreen (1954): word or phrase that results from a mishearing of something said or sung. From the mishearing in a Scottish ballad of "laid him on the green" as "Lady Mondegreen."
I actually like this one. The other example that was given was the Creedence Clearwater
tune "there's a bad moon on the rise," also loving known as "there's a bathroom on the
right." I think the Dave Matthews Band should release a cutting-edge spoken word album
entitled Mondegreen. Can't understand a word that guy says.

AP only had a few of the new additions published, so we'll have to look a little deeper to figure out which words are stupefying and which are just plain stupid. One thing is for sure. With the help of Webster-Merriam, we can fend off the threat of Orwell's Newspeak.

Crisis averted.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fanboy; that's funny. Can I be a Home Sweet Ebert fanboy? Do you know about the Urban Dictionary? You can contribute o the evolving language yourself!

Nicole said...

Rodney,you have to be an Ebert Home fanboy. It's in the contract.

I can't view that site here at work...filters and what not. So it must be good.